Monday, April 30, 2007

Sad



Today I'm very sad. On April 18th our son, an architect in Salt Lake City, was found dead at the job site of one of his projects. When the coroner in Boise arrived at my door and told me the horrible news, I couldn't believe it. Virgil and I have been planning, with our beloved son, to retire in Utah and he would spend most of his weekends with us in our new home. I guess our Father in Heaven had other plans for our precious son. I'm back in Boise and packing boxes, getting ready to move to Utah, but it is a lonely task.


There is a sweet story in a poem that somebody wrote once.... about standing at the dockside of a big a beautiful ship.... when it left it moorings I watched it until it disappeared. Some one announced... "it's gone..." But I knew that it was only gone from my old eyes..... on the other side of the water there was someone waiting and scanning the horizon.... then they suddenly exclaimed.... "I see it.... it's coming.... Nick is coming!" with joy in their hearts.


The days are sad and quieter now.... no more noontime phone calls to each other..... no surprise weekend visits to Utah.... no humor in our conversations.... just quietness and sadness.


While in Utah preparing for his funeral I sketched and sketched and sketched.... it was the only thing that kept my hurting heart and old mind from ruin.... I'm sharing a couple that I did. One is in colored pencil and is a WIP. The other is in graphite. There is another that I did and softly placed it in Nick's coffin.... for him only. It was a graphite of a journey through a quiet gate into a gorgeous mountain scene with a river and lots of trees and a beckoning path. At the bottom were the words of a favorite hymn... "Be Still My Soul."


Grandma Barbara in Boise

5 comments:

K said...

Oh Barbara, this must be such a shock. Having four children myself I can't imagine what it would be like to have one cut off in the prime of their life. I feel for you. May you be at peace even through the tears.
Blessings,
Kathleen from the Yahoo/Flickr Botanical Art group

Unknown said...

My dear Barbara, my heart aches for you. I'm hoping you can find some comfort and solace in your beautiful artwork.

Elizabeth from the Yahoo Botanical Art Group

Unknown said...

Barbara, I am so sorry to hear this news. I cannot even imagine what you are going through. Please accept my hugs and may you find peace in your heart.

Toni from botanical art group

Anonymous said...

Oh Barbara, my heart goes out to you. I will keep you in my prayers for many days to come.

Karen A. Castevens said...

This was sad to me. I am sorry for your loss...God be with you.